Many assault charges involve family members or conflicts in dating relationships. Emotions run high, things are said and done (often by both parties), the police are called, and from that point forward a conflict that might have been resolved in counseling becomes a criminal case. There are several assault offenses in Texas such as:
- Aggravated assault
- Misdemeanor assault
- Assault family violence
- Assault of a public servant (often a police officer)
Getting charged with an assault crime in Texas can incur harsh penalties. If convicted, such an offense on your record can have an impact on any future endeavors, such as employment and living situations. Fortunately, you do not have to go through this time alone.
Attorney Matthew Toback has served as a Dallas criminal defense attorney for nearly a decade and is passionate about the criminal justice system. Attorney Toback's experience gives his firm an edge over the competition. No matter what assault charge you are facing, you can trust the team at Toback and Associates.
Based on the level of the offense and the damage that occurs, an assault crime can be classified as either a misdemeanor or a felony. The state of Texas charges this offense as first, second, or third degree assault.
The following classifications are used for the conviction of an assault crime:
- Third degree: Considered a misdemeanor and can occur when an individual causes physical injury to someone, is negligent with a deadly weapon, or purposely threatens someone
- Second degree: Considered a felony and can occur when an individual tries to kill someone, knowingly injures someone with a deadly weapon, or injures someone while drunk driving
- First degree: Considered a felony and can occur when an individual knowingly attempts to kill someone or knowingly injures someone very seriously
- Punishments for an assault crime can include time in prison, a heavy fine, or both. The judge will consider the severity of the crime before assigning a sentence.
If you are facing an assault conviction, it is important to work with an attorney you can trust. Toback and Associates success as a Dallas criminal defense attorney will inspire the confidence you need.